Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Great Book!



I have an friend who knows the Book inside and out.

Whenever we get to talking about spiritual stuff, I give him my ideas and he gives me the Book. I always feel somewhat inferior based on his acute and expansive knowledge of the Book.

Compared to the Book, written by wise and revered masters, my ideas are the ideas of a circus clown.


He can dance rings around me when it comes to the Book and responds to every question with some profound quote from the Book. Oh sure, I know a little from the Book, like I know a little from other Books, but I can't quote from the Book or provide explanations as to the meaning of life from the Book.

He seems to live, eat and breathe the Book and life itself seems to have evolved right out of the Book.

Whatever idea I suggest, he tells me why it's silly because the Book says....

I say, "dude, the answers to life are not in that Book!" He responds, "oh really, so where do you get your answers from?"

I bumble off a ridiculous sounding, "life!" (and then I hear a muted trumpet in the background going...Wahwahwahhh...)

Unfortunately, this friend knows my past "life" and so, I know I'm beat down once again. I really don't know what to say, since there certainly is alot of profound stuff in the Book.

I mean, how can you argue with the Book!


The other day I actually started to intently read the Book in order to not seem so ignorant about the Book, especially when I'm around other Book Lovers like my friend.

Problem is, I quickly got bored and fell asleep.

2 comments:

  1. mike,if you don't mind,

    i'm curious; what's the book - Bible,Upanishads,etc...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take you pick!

    Actually, the friend in question is smitten with biblical interpretations of life.

    However, the post was meant to be an allegory on all "Great Books."

    Thanks,
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete