Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Meaningful Metaphysics of the Meaningless


To the ego, the meaningless is equivalent to non-existence.

This demands that egos make meaning from the meaningless. To make meaning from the meaningless the ego must ‘know’ and knowing requires learning.

But, if the ego constructs its own experiences (since it constructed itself) then it teaches itself everything it ‘knows.’ If that which requires learning, teaches itself, then it must know nothing of any value and therefore, its existence is meaningless. If it is meaningless, then clearly it does not “exist.”

No need to worry though, because ‘meaningless” has an infinite quality to it that all the egos attempts to inject meaning does not diminish one tiny bit.

Unless the ego becomes transfixed on its own teachings, that give meaning to the meaningless. Of course, making the meaningless meaningful is impossible, because if something has no meaning it, therefore, cannot BE. Only what has meaning can BE, since nothing could BE that was not meant to BE.

Nevertheless, this is what the ego-self has essentially done. It has proclaimed “existence,” to what is not really there and it does this simply by proclaiming it “real.”

The ego must experience meaning from the meaningless, because this aids IT in asserting that IT exists (but only in contrast to what IT gives meaning to). By defining itself, in contrast to the meaningless, IT inadvertently asserts that IT too, is meaningless, since IT gave meaning to the meaningless in the first place in order to assert ITself as “real” in contrast with.....

Obviously, to affix meaning by contrasting with the meaningless, is therefore equally meaningless. This is the rule of Dualism, which demands that the ego construct meaningless experiences for which to contrast itself as meaningful.

My ego delights in this metaphysical dance (as all egos do). We can be sure that all egos delight in this simply by reading all the meaningless drivel, proclaimed as profoundly meaningful, that has been written in just the last 2000 yrs.

Yet, what have you learned that has made any difference to birth and death?

Actually, what you have learned allows you the illusion of choice in filling time between what you do not choose (birth and death).

What’s the point of that???

Yet, all of these thoughts are just as meaningless, even though I relish in trying to convey the meaning I seem to ‘know.’ What the ego refuses to even slightly entertain is that if it is meaningless, since it only knows itself in contrast to the meaningless experiences it constructs, then everything it thinks must be as meaningless, because everything it thinks is contrasted against the meaningless.

So… if there is really nothing ‘there’… how do you know “you” even exist?

Maybe you don’t.

But that’s nonsense since you certainly ‘know’ you exist, just look at all the contrasts needed to make your self “real.”

We seem transfixed on learning from the meaningless experiences we construct to teach meaning. Of course, this can only mean that we teach ourselves, which lends credence to the idea that we simply repeat, over and over again, all the meaningless lessons learned before because...

...there is only one teacher and we all know IT.

The ego-self repeats compulsively, because it ‘knows’ nothing but the meaningless it taught itself. We have become weary of this game because we seek for a way out through a decisive outcome and we invented religion and spirituality to teach us that outcome. Yet there is no end to this game, because there is no outcome. Maybe when we see it as infinite, we may then choose to no longer learn the meaninglessness we teach ourselves.

Oooh…wouldn’t that be swell!

The infinite player is not fixated on finite outcomes. However, there is only one rule to the infinite game. In order to play infinitely you cannot play alone.



Sitting on this barstool talking like a damn fool
Got the twelve o'clock news blues
And I've given up hope on the afternoon soaps
And a bottle of cold brew
Is it any wonder I'm not crazy?
Is it any wonder I'm sane at all

Well I'm so tired of losing- I got nothing to do and all day to do it
I go out cruisin' but I've no place to go and all night to get there
Is it any wonder I'm not a criminal?
Is it any wonder I'm not in jail?
Is it any wonder I've got

Too much time on my hands, it's ticking away with my sanity
I've got too much time on my hands, it's hard to believe such a calamity
I've got too much time on my hands and it's ticking away from me
Too much time on my hands, too much time on my hands
Too much time on my hands

Well, I'm a jet fuel genius - I can solve the world's problems
Without even trying
I have dozens of friends and the fun never ends
That is, as long as I'm buying
Is it any wonder I'm not the president
Is it any wonder I'm null and void?
Is it any wonder I've got

Too much time on my hands, it's ticking away with my sanity
I've got too much time on my hands, it's hard to believe such a calamity
I've got too much time on my hands and it's ticking away from me
Too much time on my hands, too much time on my hands
Too much time on my hands
(Styx)

Image by Karl Persson - "Shiny Chicken"

1 comment: