Monday, February 9, 2009

CONVERSATIONS WITH EGO: "Awakening"


Mike: WOW! Unbelievable! HaHa! I now finally realize what “Awakening” is!

ego: Oh? And what’s that, mike?

Mike: It means that I don’t need to seek “Awakening” anymore, because I am already Awakened!



ego:
Uh, Ok… that’s fine, but…we don’t seem to feel any different than we did a moment ago.

Mike: Achh! You don’t understand. It’s not about any state of mind it just IS!

ego: What just “IS”?

Mike: Awakening!

ego: I’m not sure I get it. What have we “awakened” to?

Mike: "We" no, no no, I've "awakened to my True Self.

ego: Your true self…does that include me?

Mike: Well, no…actually, I have to "transcend" you and you have to dissolve or be annihilated or something like that.

ego: Well, you better be clear on this mike, because…I’m still here…are you sure you’re awakened? Maybe I’m just supposed to hang around a little while longer.

Mike: Huh? …No! my awakening is supposed to be egoless. Don’t you get it?! You’re the whole damn problem…all your striving and desiring…you’re the cause of all my suffering and to be awakened is to be without YOU!

ego: But, Mike, who would you be… without me?

Mike: Free! Finally free of all my suffering. All the suffering that YOU caused.

ego: Uh, ok then… I’ll just step back here awhile, out of the way, and let you enjoy this “awakening.” But when you need me, just go ahead and give me a shout.

Mike: HA! Need you! You just don’t get it. Our relationship is over, kaput, no more!

ego: Ok then, but……oh yeah, I almost forgot, don’t forget to pay the electric bill cause you’re now 5 days late. Oh and don’t forget, you’re supposed to pick up your daughter after school today and make sure you stop and pickup your prescriptions on the way home. Hey, look at your hair! Aren’t you due for a haircut? By the way, shouldn’t you be thinking about getting something for your wife’s birthday and another thing……………

Mike: (sigh)


Dedicated to MonkMojo

4 comments:

  1. Ahh crap Mike, I was so pumped for my instantly gratifying awakening. My ego was nearly convinced it never existed, and then your stupid ego made my ego feel insecure. Jesus, I’m gonna have to go re-read my Eckhart Tolle books just to get back to square one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MJ,

    Very happy to be of service, since my "Awakening" requires I serve.

    Peace bro,
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have confused your Ego with your cognitive mind, which is very helpful in practical day-to-day living. I say this because I read it in The Unfolding Now by A. H. Almass. (The Ego is the part that protects you by building walls based on past experiences and tramas. To this point, Ann Weiser Cornell has evolved a practice to acknowledge and talk with parts of yourself, www.focusing resources.com.)

    I do like your conversation, and it moved me to add this comment.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patricia,

    Yes, there are many different definitions of ego out there. Mine tends toward a Freudian/Buddhist perspective and often I write it as "ego-self." Actually I'm glad you commented since I was thinking of posting my ego definition (at least the one my ego is most comfortable with).

    Great links and I'll be checking them out soon since I'm always looking to find new info.

    Thanks and stop by anytime!
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete