Friday, October 30, 2009

Let the Guru Bow to You

Your words enthrall me, your thoughts are clean. You tell me everything is not as it seems.

Are you my teacher? Are you the wise master-guru that "I" seek?

The egoic self-construct will discard that which is not already there IN the student. The idea that there is something new to learn is a trick the student plays on the guru.

This way, the 'self' can be retained as not 'realized,' but forever seeking realization.

The dynamics of the 'enlightenment game' are cyclical, since you can dump all your ignorance on the exalted guru, who's job is to dump it back on you. This is how you maintain the 'cycle of ignorance' and your experience of the world never changes (Yet, you claim to be getting 'closer,' which, of course, only takes you farther away).

However, you can break from the 'cycle of ignorance' when you trust in the ignorant to teach you, because the ego will deny learning anything at all. In that denial, realize that you have learned more than could be learned from a million wise gurus.

But this is virtually impossible, because the ego-self seeks out what is useful based on its own requirements. Even before the teacher speaks, the ego-self knows what is said and so...

...listens intently.

If it resonates, then most likely it's what you've asked for... but not what you need, because you don't know what you need. (and if you don't know what you need, then it's best to trust in everything except what you've asked for).

The real teacher is the one that bows to you. But, most likely, "you" will have none of that, since that would negate the enlightened teacher and your goal to be 'one' (...of them).

Nevertheless, essentially, you teach yourself. The "teacher" only confirms what is already known by YOU. In that sense all teachers are useless and any enlightenment, realization, awakening, etc, etc, you give yourself, as there are no intermediaries for the contents of your mind since all intermediaries are content too. (although we tend to project it outward in the desire for an external reference point, but that's just Freudian "wishful thinking"). The "guru" always gives you what you ask for, although you may deny awareness of the asking.

Seems kinda silly when you really get down to it.

However, there are those who can give you what you do not want, nor ask for, but need. They are all around you. When will you bow to them in the realization that they are your teachers?

The real learning happens when you excuse yourself from the classroom.


Well the dawn was coming,
heard him ringing on my bell.

He said, "my name's the teacher,

that is what I call myself.

And I have a lesson

that I must impart to you.

It's an old expression

but I must insist it's true.


Jump up, look around,

find yourself some fun,

no sense in sitting there hating everyone.

No man's an island and his castle isn't home,

the nest is full of nothing when the bird has flown.
"

So I took a journey,

threw my world into the sea.

With me went the teacher

who found fun instead of me.


Hey man, what's the plan, what was that you said?

Sun-tanned, drink in hand, lying there in bed.

I try to socialize but I can't seem to find
what I was looking for, got something on my mind.

Then the teacher told me
it had been a lot of fun.
Thanked me for his ticket
and all that I had done.


Hey man, what's the plan, what was that you said?
Sun-tanned, drink in hand, lying there in bed.
I try to socialize but I can't seem to find

what I was looking for, got something on my mind.
(Jethro Tull - The Teacher)


(Image by Saturno Butto)

10 comments:

  1. Lovely one Mike. Perhaps the presented Universe itself, and all its apparent situations, is already the perfect guru.

    I wish I'd had a guru...a really good-looking male one, who was a bit carried away with his power and willing to have inappropriate relations with a chosen few of his disciples! ( Before I was married of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gurus, the would-be, the self-proclaiming, are interesting creatures. They become very annoyed at best, dismissive at worst, condescending in between, when posed of a riddle they are unable to conjure an answer to. One's submission is their only power. It is always interesting when they claim to have been assigned.

    "Wow" moments are spectacular, almost like a manna sometimes, and occur when one least expects them and from truly unanticipated sources. And they don't come from repetition, it is true.

    I think it odd that many will gather around the leader and nod in unison when something "profound" is thought to have been uttered. It's why people become angry when their gurus fall from grace. How could he have fallen, been strangely, and often darkly, human after all? Sadly, we thought him/her so wise.

    Quote: "However, there are those who can give you what you do not want, nor ask for, but need. They are all around you. When will you bow to them in the realization that they are your teachers?

    The real learning happens when you excuse yourself from the classroom."

    A resounding yes.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. No One,

    Methinks perchance that you may be the object of such fantasies (based on the comments the disciples leave on your blog)

    Bow to them...
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nahnni,

    "Wow" moments are spectacular, almost like a manna sometimes, and occur when one least expects them and from truly unanticipated sources. And they don't come from repetition, it is true."

    Yes, it seems we will be "awakened" by surprise, or not awakened at all.

    "It's why people become angry when their gurus fall from grace. How could he have fallen, been strangely, and often darkly, human after all? Sadly, we thought him/her so wise."

    And you may have inadvertently pointed out how we often perceive "human" as a somewhat disgusting occupation unworthy of respect. As I've stated frequently; generally we tend not to trust anything "human." Therefore, we expect or guru-masters to be anything but "human."

    I ask again and again, what good "wisdom"? I splat on wisdom!

    Thanks Nahnni, always good stuff!
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am NOT a GURU!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

    How many spiritual teachers does it take to change a light bulb?

    All of them, because each one has the only right way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I am NOT a Guru!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

    Dear, Dear Suzanne,

    Surely, you understand that it's not up to you.

    And claiming not to be a guru, ironically, increases credibility.

    Good Luck!
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's no one for me to teach, and there's no me to teach them, and there's nothing to teach...it makes things rather challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "There's no one for me to teach, and there's no me to teach them, and there's nothing to teach...it makes things rather challenging."


    yes, it is "rather challenging," but you seem to do it well.

    Thanks,
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete
  9. You being a sweetie-pie arises in awareness!

    ReplyDelete