Sunday, March 22, 2009

CONVERSATIONS WITH EGO: Leaves on a Stream



ego: Hey Mike! What about lunch, aren’t you hungry?


Mike: Shhhh…can't you see I'm trying to meditate?


ego: oooh, sorry….Hey! wait a minute... if that’s true then why were you just thinking about your girlfriend from high school?


Mike: Good grief! I thought we went over this already? Don’t you remember what we were taught? Thoughts come and go and I have to just allow them to pass "like fallen leaves on a stream."


ego: Uh...okay, but I don’t think this hunger is gonna pass like leaves on a stream.


Mike: Damn! Why’ does it always have to be about you?


ego: But, Mike, I only have your best interests at heart.


Mike: Then let me meditate in peace. Don’t you realize I’m trying to awaken to my true nature?


ego: Oh, okay….but, how can you awaken to your “true nature” if you have to let it pass "like fallen leaves on a stream."


Mike: No! It’s the thoughts that pass like "fallen leaves on a stream," not my true nature. My true nature is the end of all thought.


ego: Ooooh! Okay, I get it…..but then….how will you know when it’s time to eat?


Mike: Well…Oh, I don’t know! That's not important! Why are you asking so many questions? I just need you to shut up and cooperate with these spiritual practices so I can start making some progress here.


ego: To get enlightened?


Mike: Yes! To get enlightened, dammit!


ego: Ok, I get it now….but….don’t you think we should we eat first and then get enlightened? I mean…if you stop thinking… we might starve!


Mike: (sigh) Ok, fine! Let’s eat first….

4 comments:

  1. At least you got to the stream, but maybe he's right, eat first next time, one thing down...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Barbara,

    Yep, one down, one trillion to go...

    Thanks,
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, Mike, there are all kinds of affirmations fot that attitude. I can't count to a trillion, my attention span would never allow it, but it seems I've repeated some things nearing the trillion category. At times it's hard to believe that's not the point, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara,

    Yes, the game is infinite.

    mikeS

    ReplyDelete