Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hey You! Who Do You Think "You" Are, Anyway?



You pride yourself on the delusion of being uniquely individual. Obviously, you get real angry at the suggestion that you’re nothing but a trained monkey in a cage and your core identity was manufactured in childhood through extensive conditioning that you had no choice in. But then, anger was learned as well.

Yet, you do believe you’ve made crucial choices in the sculpting of your 'self.' but this is also a delusion, since all choices were made from the same social menu we all choose from.

Nevertheless, any later additions to your self that you ‘chose,’ pale in comparison to the core personae, which was not your choice at all. In this sense, your “individuality” is an illusion and your 'uniqueness' nothing more than a fantasy, not even of your choosing.

So, can it really be "you" in there?

All of this insures the perpetuation of the collective order. Your values conform to that order and not to replicate conformity in the manufacture of personalities is to generate an eventual collapse of the collective order. This collective arrangement (which you agree to) insures that you stay put and any delusion of 'transcendence' reinforces that you are "here" and serves to keep you firmly in place (all warm and comfy, no doubt).

In other words, everything about “you” has been taught and learned and nothing is uniquely free of conditioning. And so continues the ancient hatreds and fears, as well as the ephemeral pleasures and joys, that you've inherited from your parents as they inherited from their parents and theirs before them and so on and so on, etc, etc, etc.

Deviance from this is frequently attempted, but only within the approved boundaries, simply because deviance is helpful in reinforcing collective order.

In fact, many cultures are adopting the western individualistic paradigm of competition, thereby, manufacturing a global cultural homogenization of conforming to the collective delusion of individual “uniqueness" or "me" before "us."

This is inevitable because the collective must remain joined in delusion in order to stay convinced of their separateness (even though we are all the same). So, go ahead have your “awakening” and your “enlightenment,” and continue playing the serious games that have always been played. Follow the rules like good boys and girls, because the games never end.

Thus, it seems reasonable to assume that what we seek to transcend, through the various religio-spiritual “enlightenment” ideologies (and their attached sacred paths of "peace and love") is nothing more than the social conditioning that we have been indoctrinated into and held captive by. But, make no mistake, your path to enlightenment comes from the same social menu from which all conventions are derived. These are the same old song and dance routines that have entertained us since time began.

It’s all the same shit, just a different day.

Yet, you were trained to take pride in who "you" are as a person and demand others recognize and applaud your unique ‘individuality, which, of course leads to higher ‘self-esteem.’ It is rather disappointing to consider that the self we take pride in, is nothing but a conditioned amalgamation, or composite, of the learned values of childhood social conditioning.

We can always expand the intellect, but the core egoic personality (belief system) is virtually unchangeable and the core self remains intact until death do you part. It seems that without a more intrinsic change the intellect will continue to fail us as it always has.

So how much of “you” is really you and how much is nothing more than conditioned responses based on early childhood socialization? It’s not just mom and dad, but all the institutions that shaped your personality or ‘self’ (who you ‘think’ you are) by indoctrinating you into the dominant system of values.

Are you even aware of who you really are, absent the indoctrinated beliefs that anchor you to social convention, demanding you take the games seriously by playing by the rules?

Essentially, we’re not seeking to awaken to some grandiose 'godhead,' or transcend into some whimsical nirvanic state of heavenly bliss. No, actually you’re simply trying to get free of collective hell by stripping away all the layers of delusional beliefs that collective indoctrination has burdened you with and that you have inadvertently passed onto your children in the belief that they can’t possibly thrive (or even survive) without them.

You live your “life” by perpetuating a “story” that you believe is uniquely your own. But this is delusional, since it was never “your” story to begin with.


Hey you, out there in the cold
Getting lonely, getting old

Can you feel me?

Hey you, standing in the aisles

With itchy feet and fading smiles

Can you feel me?


Hey you, don’t help them to bury the light

Don't give in without a fight.


Hey you, out there on your own
Sitting naked by the phone
Would you touch me?

Hey you, with your ear against the wall

Waiting for someone to call out

Would you touch me?


Hey you, would you help me to carry the stone?

Open your heart, I'm coming home.


But it was only fantasy.

The wall was too high,

As you can see.

No matter how he tried,

He could not break free.

And the worms ate into his brain.


Hey you, standing in the road
always doing what you're told,
Can you help me?

Hey you, out there beyond the wall,

Breaking bottles in the hall,

Can you help me?


Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all
Together we stand, divided we fall.
(Pink Floyd)

11 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff Mike. Out of curiosity, is there a goal attached to dispelling all indoctrinated conditioning and beliefs? What would the world be like, in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^Oooohhhhh, that's a good question, Mike. What say you to that question?

    And what is the nature of characteristics, more or less, that seem to differentiate people? Is it in the degree of socialization? What is the mystery of talent? Or even the mystery behind true autism? I heard an interview with John Taylor Gatto in which he proposed that our education system has the ability to manufacture the characteristics of functional autism on a grand social scale in order to essentially create worker bees by using a reward system and keeping to a linear thought process throughout life. In short, the complete absence of critical thinking, which would, by theory, create the probability of dissension by social/self-reflection which must be avoided at all cost.

    It is difficult to impart the complexity of the interview, but I hope it brings to the floor some avenue of discussion because it goes well with your socialization theory of who we become, at least. The boy raised by wolves becomes the wolf, I suppose one could say.

    In Deng Ming-Dao's book, "365 Tao", he writes of a social Tao, and in effect says that if one does not render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, one will suffer the consequence.

    So, what parts of ourselves are rendered and what parts can we possibly claim as our own? What separates a Da Vinci from the guy who can't draw a straight line and can't think beyond his nose? What is the mystery of what appears unique?

    Yes, I know I babble. My brain goes in all directions and most being balderdash, but mind you, sincere.

    Peace,
    Nahnni

    ReplyDelete
  3. No One,

    Important question and definitely worthy of an answer (without really answering) in another post.

    Stay Tuned!
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mynahnni,

    "^^Oooohhhhh, that's a good question, Mike. What say you to that question?"

    Oops! You have noticed that I'm teetering on the edge of the lunatic fringe? I try not to let it show, but this attests to your acute penetrating powers of observation.

    It seems as more of this becomes evident to me, self-concept confusion reigns supreme.

    Good grief! You ask great questions! So how comes you don't have a blog?

    It seems we have attributed some characteristics to nature and, thus, the "unknown," in order to make the games more seriously compelling. Of course, that's an off the cuff answer and completely wrong, but I thought I'd give it a stab, anyway.

    "365 Tao"? Hey, I have that book! I think I'll read it!

    Always a pleasure!
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike: Over the years I have witnessed many folks completely change their Social and Environmental conditioning my self included. Consider extreme trauma, war, OBE, death experience and so on... Maybe missed your gist. Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jubilee,

    Very true! It does seem many can, and have, completely changed their conditioned belief system (I was a drug addict for 8 yrs, but now am clean for 20).
    I merely suggest that there is a limited 'menu' of belief systems to choose from and all are indelibly linked to the past.

    But I'm just saying...

    Thanks!
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting.
    I'm currently on one of these forums where they work with ya to realize the no-self.
    I just don't know....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really?

    Link me up to that forum.

    I would be interested in seeing that process.

    Thanks,
    mikeS

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://liberationunleashed.com/nation/viewforum.php?f=4

    One on one section I'm going under the nick of 'danny".

    Thanks for the response by the way.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am curious as to your views and ideas about drugs.
    I started smoking weed like a year and a half ago and quickly became an everyday toker, but just this summer I started getting really into 'enlightenment' and started thinking I would need to cut out drugs to get it. since then I have been trying to stop using, but kind of going back and fourth a lot. The longest break I took was a month around october and currently I haven't done anything for a week and a half except smoke a couple cigs (which I know is worse for you then weed, but not nearly as mind altering) Now when my friends go out and toke I have a strong desire to, but when I do I feel guilty/shitty about it the next day. Um, since reading this blog i've kind of shifted from the idea of using meditation and mindfulness to finding enlightenment to deeply engaging people to do it. I sense that the only way I will be able to face my fear of engagement/honesty will be being sober, because I do tend to have anxiety when i'm on drugs in social situations, but don't really talk about it. But then again 90% of the time i'm sober I feel like i'm totally on the surface and not deeply engaging and kinda hiding my own 'world' from others as well.. I'd be curious to know what your experience with drugs was like and which drugs you used the most etc. On one hand I think i might be looking for you to validate my attempt to abstain from drugs by saying its neccessary to awaken. On the other hand, I look at many drug experiences very fondly, and wonder if I just opened up when on drugs, would that would be beneficial... sorry for the rantyness of this post... also, with some friends I have felt a deep connection while on drugs and have had what I felt were excellent conversations, however, in sobriety I feel like there are more boundaries and I can't open up and say a lot of what I want. Its unnerving that after 20+ years of sobriety you still haven't figured this sheit, right now i'm thinking if i don't see substaintial progress in six months i'm just gonna go all out with drugs. I kinda seriously doubt i'll make it six months anyway. I know you might say progress is an illusion or whatever, which I resonate with to a certain extent, but at the same time, I cant just snap my fingers and end the madness. I mean maybe I can, but right now i'm just trying to engage people little by little until I work up to a point where I am doing it every second of everyday. again, sorry for the ramblyness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chemical experiences can be helpful in breaking down conditioned responses (based on specific drug actions). Some say it is the only way. But i feel it alters consciousness but does little for the subconscious belief system, as well as increasing fear responses.

    Essentially,at this point in time, I just jump in the fire and wait and see if I burn. Then I study the burns to see how real they are. So far, none have been real at all.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete